20 minute biscuits
because waiting more than 20 minutes for breakfast is never alright.
- 2 cups AP flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of sugar
- 8 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- optional add ins - cracked pepper, chives, honey..
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. Using a pastry cutter, or just a fork, add cubed butter and cut it in until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
4. Pour milk in, and work the dough with a fork or your hands until it comes together into a ball - add the milk in bit by bit, you may need more or less than 1 cup.
(if you're adding any extra herbs or spices, now is the time to mix them into the dough)
5. Lightly flour a clean surface, and flatten your dough into a rectangle about 1 inch thick. Fold it in half, and flatten it out again. This will give it some layers.
6. Using a biscuit cutter or a cookie cutter, cut your dough into desired sizes.
7. Place biscuits on a buttered cookie sheet and bake about 12 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
To make a quick chive butter, combine room temp salted butter with chopped chives and a little white pepper.